This year we have done lots of work on developing the children’s maths skills in school and on-line. As there are still a couple of weeks until the end of the school year, we thought this would be a good time to summarise the skills we have learnt in preparation for Year 2:
- Can count, write and read numbers to 100.
- Can write numbers to 20 as words.
- Can use addition and subtraction facts up to 20 to find missing numbers in sums (number bonds).
- Can mentally add and subtract 2 digit and 1digit numbers confidently to 20 (including using coins).
- Can say what is 1 more or 1 less than a number.
- Can recognise coins.
- Can count in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s.
- Can multiply and divide using practical equipment and by making arrays.
- Can solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Can find a half or a quarter of a shape or a group of objects.
- Can describe position including whole, half, quarter and three-quarter turns clockwise.
- Can tell the time on a clock face (on the hour and half past).
- Can recognise and name common 2D and 3D shapes e.g. rectangles, squares, circles, triangles, cuboids, pyramids, spheres.
Below are some optional activities if you want to double check your child’s progress against these skills.
Don't worry if your child didn't get everything right!
We have provided some optional activities (based on our class work and the on-line work) if you feel your child needs further practise in any area.
And finally for those children who have completed the Year 1 work and would like some extra activities for the next couple of weeks...
Don’t forget you can still use the resources on the websites below.